I like that it's full of color, flavor and packs a big punch of veggies and protein.
Now to figure out what to do with that beet.
Roasted Squash-Cauliflower Quinoa
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (I bought this pre-done)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, trimmed into florets
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Lemon-pepper seasoning salt to taste (salt and pepper if you don't have it)
- 2 TBS Olive oil, divided
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth*
- 2 Tofurkey Italian sausages, sliced into pennies (could use regular sausage, cooked chicken, etc. if you prefer meat, but these added good protein and flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp Penzey's bouquet garni seasoning (could sub in the same amount of rosemary, oregano, basil, sage, etc.)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa*
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a non-stick cookie sheet or baking stone, toss the squash and cauliflower with 1 TBS olive oil and the lemon juice. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Roast in oven 20-35 minutes, (tossing after 15 minutes if needed) until squash is approaching fork-tender.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining TBS olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion and shallot, stirring frequently, until softened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add garlic and continue to saute 30 seconds more.
- Add the vegetables, broth and bouquet garni to the skillet. Stir. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5-10 minutes until squash is tender.
- Stir in the sausage and quinoa. Cover and continue to cook 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Note: I already had cooked quinoa on hand. You could easily increase the liquid to about 1 1/4 cups and stir the quinoa in earlier to let it cook with the vegetables.